Welcome to the our forums!

Hatsune's First Nuzlocke

6 replies
I think my fave part of the Pokemon series is making new teams. Serious, silly, themed, “just because I think they’re cool”, it just feels good raising a squad of bros. It’s also an easy way to pass time at work in-between calls. Whilst making my “Brandon Team” (a team of Pokemon with some sort of personal connection to me), I decided to restart my Pokemon X game simply to catch an Articuno with a desired nature. For those who aren’t aware, you can only catch one of the three legendary birds from Gen 1 in a playthrough of Pokemon X and the one you get a shot at is determined by the starter you picked at the beginning of the game. I picked Fennekin in my initial playthrough so I needed to remake and select Chespin if I wanted an Articuno.

But since I’ve already beat the game with my usual notions, I wanted to mix things up. This is going to be my first Pokemon Nuzlocke!

For those who, again, are unaware, a Pokemon Nuzlocke is an unofficial challenge to raise the states of the ordinarily simple gameplay. The baseline rules are that only one pokemon may be caught per game location (Route, Cave, Town, etc.) and you must nickname all Pokemon caught. That second rule is mostly to emphasize this third rule; you must try to love each of your pokemon you catch because rule four is that if a pokemon ‘faints’, it’s dead! You must bury it (release it) and continue with what pokemon you have left.

So it essentially introduced a bit of survival action to the normally laidback nature of the Pokemon series. This is my first time trying one, so imma going to document it here. If you’re looking for a fun example of it in Youtube form, check out the Team Four Star lads as they’ve done a few of them.

I am going to use three house rules, though. One is Species Clause – if the first pokemon I encounter is one I’ve already caught, I get to catch the next one instead. This is avoid having a boring team full of the same pokemon. The second is Shiny Clause – I may catch a Shiny pokemon encountered but may not use it if it was not the first one encountered in the location. This is mostly because I promised Bryce I would help him with his Shiny-dex and didn’t want to pass up any I find here. And the third is Catch-type Clause – I may catch, at most, two pokemon per location: one in ‘tall grass encounter’ and one through a non-tall grass encounter. This avoids any potential pokemon catches becoming unavailable simply because I ‘can’t get to the water without crossing the grass’ or other such tomfoolery.

Chapter 1 – Gotta pick the munk

So my adventure started after being assaulted by my mom’s Fletchling. I had apparently just moved to Vaniville Town in Kalos from… somewhere. Mom, a well-known Ryhorn Racer, had apparently made no attempt to hide what fame she had as there was already a troop of neighborhood kids waiting outside our home. They were waiting to tell me that I had been selected by the region’s Pokemon Professor to help him with some research, my only qualifications for doing so being my mother’s daughter (yeah, I’m a girl in pretty much all games I play. Deal with it). I’m not entirely sure why this was decided without my consultation, but ‘when in Rome’ I guess. I meet the other kids outside a café the next town over and learn that the professor has written a letter to my mom (also not me). He also supplied one of the kids with three pokemon with instruction to give one to each of us going through this… research assignment. “Gotta pick the munk to catch a crazy ice bird” the voice in my head said. I selected Chespin, a bizarre arrangement of chipmunk and chestnut. Knowing he would eventually grow into a large rodent juggernaut, I named him Dandy Hanley. I imagine him in a top hat and bowtie as a gentleman boxer and smile.

Another kid provides me with a pokedex and explains the pokedex challenge although that’s not necessarily why our aid is being requested. The five of us slowly depart the table; Teirno, who gave me Dandy Hanley on behalf of the professor and seems obsessed with dancing; Trevor, who provided me with the pokedex; Shauna, another would-be researcher who selected Froakie as her partner; and Calem, a third would-be researcher who allegedly comes from a family of trainers. Calem picked Fennekin as his partner.

Shauna catches up to me before I leave the cafe and requests a battle with our newly acquired pokemon. She has no appreciation for type-advantage and promptly loses. Returning home, my mom hints that the letter may be a love letter and the whiff of the professor’s cologne sprayed upon the parchment supports the claim. Apparently, it’s to ask her permission for me to take part in the study. Paying no mind to what I might want to do with the rest of my year, my mom promptly fetches a change of clothes and sends me on my way. Professor Sycamore’s lab is in Lumiose City, so that is our next destination but we’ll need to cross a few routes and towns to get there.

Passing Aquacorde Town, I pick up some pokeballs in the local shop. “The Nuzlocke has begun!” the voice in my head shouts. Route 2 is my first chance to catch a second member to the team and I promptly run into a Pidgey. It may seem simple but I’ve never raised a Pidgeot before so this one may be fun. A throw and catch and it becomes my friend. She’s a female, and the pokedex entry explains that they like to kick up dust. I named her Bastet for irony reasons. Calem and Shauna are further down the path and they give me a tutorial… on catching pokemon. There seems to be a common theme of not asking me if things are necessary. The voice in my head wonders if this game is not just a big metaphor for consent. Tutorial complete, the three of us approach the shadowed entrance to Santalune Forest and whatever awaited us inside…

… Hopefully a Pikachu….
I wanted a custom title but "Machinima Makin, Platoon Leadin, Canadian Rock Star" took too many characters.
Posted Aug 19, 18 · OP
List
Undo
This is fantastic! Keep us updated :laugh:
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in"

- Greek Proverb
Posted Aug 20, 18
List
Undo
Chapter 2 – The team shapes up

Fun fact: my favourite pokemon is Raichu. Just something about that tail makes me think ‘damn, that’s cool’. So knowing that Santalune Forest held the fuzzy yellow slut of a mascot, I crossed my fingers as we approached the shaded path.

Shauna decided to follow me for the first half of the hike, offering to heal my team when needed. A generous offer, I do not scoff at it, and plunge straight into the closest patch of grass with thoughts of an electric mouse. Instead, I was met by a squirmy Caterpie. Akin to one Ash Ketchum, simply throwing the ball is enough to catch the new addition to the team. The pokedex explains that she, along with other Caterpie, emit noxious gases when threatened. I named her Dirty Dee, suitable for a smelly and threatening girl. Making our way through the forest, I see Calem, Trevor, and Teirno have run ahead. There are some trainers as well, but nothing too threatening lies in wait between our group and the path’s exit. I made some time to grind out a few levels for the team before leaving the woods.

Making it to the clearing, I wasn’t sure what pokemon to expect as we made our way up Route 3. I selected a patch of grass close to the end of the route; my hunter instincts telling me that rare pokemon are slightly more common near the end of an area. I’m not entirely sure if my instinct paid off or not, but I’m very happy with what I found! A bouncing baby Azurill greeted me with as much enthusiasm as it gives pretty much everything else as it constantly bounces on that tail-poof thing. I caught him with ease and after some deliberation I decided to name him Sebastyan after my nephew, who is currently the family’s bouncing baby boy. It’s going to be an awkward conversation to tell my sister if Sebastyan dies in battle, though. I was please as an Azumarill would make many upcoming battles. The voice in my head tells me they had a particularly tough time with early-game dragons last time.

We reached Santalune City with a resounding ‘meh’. There wasn’t much to see, a trainer school gave lessons on status ailments and a store sold some nice hats. I tried to make my way to Route 4 to see about adding to the team but I was stopped by some lady who insisted I check out her sister’s gym. The nerve! First, no one asked if I cared to help out some Pokemon Professor I’ve never met and now I can’t leave town until I enter the Gym Challenge! There is a lot of overestimations on the number of fucks I give in Kalos.

Luckily Route 22 wasn’t being barred by insane siblings. I had not expected to meet a Dunsparce though, the cute land snake made the fifth addition to the team enough not bringing much to the table aside from a very flexible learnset. I named him Slinky Joe in reference to his ability to move backwards to burrow down. I took some time to go through the trainers in the area and a little bit of extra grinding. My research told me that the local gym leader, Viola, used bug pokemon and her strongest was lvl 12. I decided, to keep things interesting, to avoid training past the lvl of a gym’s strongest contender. Considering they were bug-type, though, I don’t know if I had much to worry about. By the time we reached Viola, Hanley and Joe both knew Rollout and Bastet had learned Gust. Rollout was typically a risky move, locking yourself in for five turns regardless of what your opponent’s up to. But most competitors in the buggy gym would go down in one or two hits. Soon the first badge was mine, which I was apparently now collecting. An appropriately titled Bug Badge.

Viola’s sister, apparently named Alexa, is now satiated from her battle lust and presents me with an Exp. Share for my trouble. This will make any future grinding much easier and I thank her for the gift. Heading north along Route 4 (finally), I meet the sixth member of my team among the red and yellow flowers that line the gardened path. It’s a male Ledyba and knowing what he evolves into and a bit about its learnset, I name him Maximum Punch.

Two cities, five routes, one forest, and one gym later and the team shapes up to Dandy Hanley the Chespin, Bastet the Pidgey, Dirty Dee who by this point had evolved into a Butterfree, Sebastyan the Azurill, Slinky Joe the Dunsparce, and Maximum Punch the Ledyba. Yup, there would definitely be some room for improvement but for now, it was time to see what Lumiose City had to offer and what this Professor Sycamore wanted in return.
I wanted a custom title but "Machinima Makin, Platoon Leadin, Canadian Rock Star" took too many characters.
Posted Aug 21, 18 · OP
List
Undo
Something gives me the feeling that this story is going to include you walking in on the professor filling your "mom" with "tree sap".
Anyway, I think this is a great story so far; keep it up!
Christian and proud.

5428316104357597729.png
Posted Aug 22, 18
List
Undo
Dicerson O>_
I mean, it's called a nuzlocke. Until I clicked on the thread and read the OP I had thought that meant something very, very different
What is my life?

I could say alot.

I could write a novel,

or a paragraph.

But instead, I'd much rather write one sentence and leave it at that.

Life is good.
Posted Aug 22, 18
List
Undo
Chapter 3 – The choice of looking beautiful forever

The flowers and hedges on Route 4 frolicked in the wind as our humble team of oblivious researchers approached the walls of Lumiose City, now visible in the distance. The trainers along the way offered little challenge but a twitch in the back of my head reminded me that the Corphish used by the Gardeners can be surprisingly strong when not taken seriously. The voice in the back of my head recalls having their starter faint on them during battle against one such foe in a previous playthrough. None such problems this time, though, and we arrive to the city’s gate. Couldn’t just simply enter the city though, two figured awaited our approach. Sina and Dexio, assistants to Professor Sycamore, they introduced themselves as. They seemed friendly enough but I’ve almost completely checked out of this research assignment by this point. Just how many people are going to bludgeon me with their appreciation for my assistance before I can learn just what I’m assisting them with? The two of them entered the gate alongside the five of us and provided directions to the professor’s laboratory.

Lumiose City was built as a walled city, a pentagram of main streets converging on a central tower in the main plaza. Shops, housing, and offices lined the inner walls and main streets. Honestly, Lumiose City is my kind of city; a leisured current drifts across the streets towards favoured epicenters. There’s always something to do if you feel up to it, somewhere you can be if you want to be there. Or you can just return to your home and shut yourself out from all of it for a while, with the luxury of knowing it’ll all still be there when you get back. A happy composite lifestyle sorely missing from the small-town life. I wonder if I’ll ever get the chance to move to a city like this. I also wonder just how big of a hermit I would turn into if I did.

The lab is just a couple minutes’ walk from the gate. The receptionist directed us to the top floor. Professor Sycamore was waiting for us, a tall man with a wave of brown hair covering the left side of his face. It would have looked like a comb-over if not for the amount of hair gel required to keep it partially aloft. A purple casual dress-shirt with the top two unbuttoned underneath a completely unbuttoned lab coat and tight black skinny jeans just above a pair of brown slip-ons. I feel the need to describe this man’s character through his clothing as his personality is about as stereotypical “single French guy” as you could get. And also because he may end up banging my mom.

Sycamore explains that he’s been studying Pokemon Evolution, specifically the kinds of energies that are released during the evolution process. The notion, admittedly, intrigues me as well; Dirty Dee had already evolved twice by this point and became bigger each time, ignoring the laws of conversation of mass. The cellular structure must allow for such a rapid acceleration of growth but Dee had not been eating any more food or resting any more than usual beforehand. Sycamore then tells us that there exists a form of extended evolution, one that pushes the forms of pokemon once thought to be unable to evolve further. That… honestly didn’t surprise me. Considering pokemon like Electivire and Magmortar evolved from pokemon who were also thought to be unable to do so. And it turned out they, too, were both evolved forms from baby pokemon the whole time. Part of me wonders why such attention isn’t placed in pokemon sexuality, it would answer a lot of these questions. Then the other part of me remembers that I’m a 10-year-old girl and not supposed to know about such things.

Sycamore then takes a moment to challenge me to a pokemon battle. At this point, why not? I had to enter the Gym Challenge to get here, let me beat up this professor’s team too. Calem seems jealous that he wasn’t the one asked, though. Professor mom-a-bangin’s team consists the three starters from Kanto; Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander. I was a bit worried about the Bulbasaur, at this point I didn’t have very many answers to a solid grass-type aside from a weaker Infestation move I taught to Maximum Punch. But luckily my fears were unfounded, and Sycamore awarded me my choice of one of the Kanto threesome upon defeating him. I chose Charmander to help round out my team’s type coverage and named him Zippo (it was my office’s idea).

Battle potential now examined, Sycamore presents each of us researchers, Shauna, Calem, and myself, with a stone believed to be connected to this extended form of pokemon evolution, now referred to as “Mega Evolution”. “Charizardite X” is the name of the stone. Hopefully Zippo can survive long enough to make use of it. Sycamore says the stones are used in the process of Mega Evolution but is unsure how. The next clues to find would likely be in Camphrier Town, so we agreed to head in that general direction before boarding the elevator down.

As if Professor Dunkin-yo-mom wasn’t personality enough for this place, we overhear a conversation between Sina and a large man on the main floor with a spiked, orange mane of hair that I’m certain had a volume and weight equal to that of his actual head. That is, of course, if you could find it atop the fur-lined black leather suitcoat trimmed in an orange velvet with a hue similar to the aforementioned mane. Matching leather dress pants with black dress shoes made the suit complete and an orange ascot made it difficult to tell where his clothing ended and his beard started. He had asked Sina when the professor would be free to talk to him about something but Sina insisted he was busy. The towering red hair-tree then takes a notice of us and says we “have potential”. Creepy. But not so much as a professor who insist you help them without actually meeting at all, at least this guy had the decency to wait until after seeing me with his own eyes before judging my usefulness in whatever exploits he enjoys. After taking his leave, Sina explained to us that was Lysandre of Lysandre Labs, the telecommunications company responsible for the Holo Casters we use to call each other. Creepy and rich, because that’s always a winning combination.

As we leave the lab, Calem asks me to meet him alone at one the city’s’ café’s. I wondered if this was for a date but then remembered that I’m 10 and not supposed to know about that yet. We meet and find that Lysandre had beaten both of us there. He was in the back, harassing a beautiful woman about the fact that she was beautiful. That’s not a euphemism, by the way, he was literally praising her beauty and asked her why she would want to age if she could have the choice of looking beautiful forever. The confusing question became just a little bit more clear as it turns out the woman he was talking to was Diantha, a popular actress as well as the Kalos region’s Pokemon Champion. Diantha explained to the disguised red Wooly Mammoth in man-clothing that although she often plays characters of younger ages, she would not want to deny herself the joys of progressing through life. At this point Lysandre notices us near the entrance of the café and introduces us to Diantha. The crouching ascot, hidden lion may be creepy but at least he’s polite. To explain himself, Lysandre tells us that his dream is to build a world of eternal beauty. He promptly makes a reason to exit the bizarre conversation he created and takes his leave. Diantha, whose company is much more pleasant, states she also must move on but says that since the Gym Challenge ends at the Pokemon League that we would face each other in battle soon enough and that she would be looking forward to it. After she left the café, Calem turns to me and says the Gym Challenge is what he wanted to talk about originally. He asked if we could make ourselves stronger trainers by challenging each other to go further with our pokemon. You know, as far as rivals go, it is refreshing to think of one as a friend as well. I accept his request and we both make our way to the gate for Route 5.

Next stop, Camphrire Town!... I guess…
Posted Aug 25, 18 · OP
List
Undo
Chapter 4 – Architectural stubbornness

Route 5 has a roller skating park. Back on Route 3, I was bumped by a rude skater going much too fast to control herself. She apologized when we met again in Santalune City, after I murdered her pet in a Pokemon battle, and presented me with a pair of roller skates of my own. It was an ingenious contraption that clipped to the soles of your shoes, hiding the wheels when not in use. I take a few moments to play around on Route 5’s skate park, it turns out I’m a natural at rail grinding. See!? That’s a legitimate interest in something! Amazing concept, eh Kalos!?

The flowerbed near the skate park held my team’s next member, a Bunnelby. As they spend most of their time in dirt, it led me to believe that this lady bunny liked mud-baths so I named her Spauna. It’s a combination of Spa and Shauna. Slinky Joe already offered a mono-Normal typed teammate but Spauna would eventually evolve into a Diggersby, a duel Normal/Ground type that could offer some heavy-hitting moves for the next, Rock-themed Gym. I doubled-back to the Lumiose City Pokemon Centre and swapped Joe for Spauna. I also decided to swap Dirty Dee for Zippo. Although neither would play a crucial role in the upcoming Gym, Zippo would eventually become a stronger member of the team than Dee and Maximum Punch already covered flying and bug types. Also I was more interested in raising a Ledyba than a Butterfree.

Moving through the trainers along the path towards the town, my team starts to snowball a little bit. Most of the pokemon they throw at me are around level 13 or so but many of my team’s core members are reaching past 16. Dandy Hanley evolved into a Quilladin and officially looked more chestnut than chipmunk. The voice in my head reminded me that up ahead would be a battle against Teirno and his Corphish, which surprised his team during the last playthrough. This time things were pretty different, Hanley’s type-advantage making the fight much easier. Two Vinewhips were all that was needed. Teirno then said something about dancing, did his signature jig and ran off with Trevor in tow. Those two spend a lot of time together despite Trevor never joining in on any of Teirnos’ dancing, it’s kinda cute actually. Trevor gave me my Pokedex when we first met and has been adamant in his quest to finish the Dex Challenge. I’m not sure what motivation he had to stick around us besides his friendship with Teirno but then Teirno doesn’t appear to have any motivation for anything at all beyond his dancing. Perhaps it’s their relationship with the professor?

Camphrire Town is a glaring example of architectural stubbornness. The town’s only attraction is Shabboneau Castle, the once-home of a noble family. It is also its largest building but can clearly only exist with the aid of the small town that it dwarfs. Someone went through a great length to ensure that the moated manor within the tiny, walled town was the only thing worth looking at around there. Like a pompous CEO who tries to distract you from the fact that it’s the guys working in the R&D department who are responsible for his wealth and success. That notion alone was enough to make me comfortable to be here, but the professor might have said we could definitely maybe find out something about Mega Evolution or not so here we are.
I caught up to Shauna, who had just entered the castle. The owner or curator, he didn’t really say which, told us the building was an old manor for a noble family but now sits as a tourist attraction and is currently rented out to him to provide tours. Business hasn’t been good, though, and he had to barter with the family heirlooms to keep the castle from the landlords. These landlords, evidently, also owned Parfum Palace to the northwest, a much larger and more impressive castle. Without any valuables in the castle, it now stood as a mostly-empty stone box.

The curator-owner had no idea what Mega Evolution was though, so we were officially out of leads. All the same, I wanted to leave anyway. Moving on to Route 7, just past the east exit, yields a sight very familiar to the voice in my head. Asleep atop the bridge crossing a narrow-yet-deep river is everyone favourite pile of jiggling fat, a Snorlax. It’s body conveniently the same width as the bridge and about as tall as a man, this has now made travelling further east impossible until it’s able to wake up. As Shauna and I stare helplessly into the abyss of cholesterol that halted our escape, the curator-owner and his friend ran towards us to witness our discovery. Apparently, this isn’t the first time this has happened and the snoozing affront to medical science could be awoken with the aid of a Pokeflute. The flute, however, was recently bartered to the aforementioned landlords after a heated debate over why the landlords allow this charade to continue. The fact that this happens on an irregular routine, and yet this guy bartered away the one thing he needed to do his job, is proof that the landlord was right. Since curator-senpai-owner-kun wasn’t on speaking terms with the landlords, he asked the two of us to retrieve the instrument. So off to Parfum Palace we go. Before embarking, though, I took a moment to explore the field to the south of the path on which we now stood. It was some sort of farmer’s field. I know this because the old farmer who looked after the berry fields was ecstatic that someone came to visit, explaining that he was looking to get rid of the property as he had become sick of looking after the place. Sure, why not become a farmer? After all, I’m also an involuntary researcher and participant in the Gym Challenge. I wonder just how many titles I’ll accidentally acquire before this adventure is done.

All the same, the berry fields will provide easy ways of reproducing Oran Berries for health, Leppa Berries for power points, status-effect healing berries, even berries that could alter my pokemon’s Effort Values to become stronger. Of all the things I’ve unintentionally bumped into, this one could be the most useful.

The path to Parfum Palace, Route 6, did not have easy access to grass, requiring trainers to first wrap around a long hedge-lined path, but I was still looking forward to being able to catch someone here. Honedge could be found here, which was a fave pokemon to raise from the first playthrough of the voice in my head. Making my way down the aforementioned pathway, a few trainers blocked our way. I tried to take the time to work on Spauna’s levels but was a little too much for her and her lack of strong offensive moves. She would have to wait until I could grind a bit in the grass. Zippo proved just fine, though, and the little flame lizard quickly evolved into a Charmeleon. Upon reaching Parfum, I wrapped around the brush to the east to find a patch of tall grass in which to make a new friend. I did, a Sentret popped up from the shadows. Kinda boring, but what can you do? I caught the little fella and named him Danger Dan in recognition of Sentret’s habit of notifying everything in the area of its discomfort. Dan is sent to the PC Box and I cannot foresee him coming out anytime soon.

Now it was time to explore this palace for a flute just so we can get away from this silly town. Oh joy.
Posted Sep 2, 18 · OP
List
Undo
Latest threads
NoticeNotices