Welcome to the our forums!

JudokaNC gaming computer hosed...

2 replies
After Sunday night OPS I went to reboot and got the BSOD. Tried everything in my power to get things going to no avail.
So I started popping cables. SSD only lets Windows boot cleanly, but when I plug in the spinny drive where most programs and data is stored - poof - BSOD. Did the shutting off of startup processes trying to find it and that led nowhere. Did the trying to restore from restore point, etc. is NoGo. Booting in safe mode lets me run in cripple mode and run some stuff installed on spinny but can't run Office because it can't verify the license. So something it is trying to load on the spinny drive and causing BSOD. This is really aggravating.
At least I have this laptop to poke around and research stuff. Probably going to get a new spinny and re-install all stuff on new drive, then move data over from backups. Sigh. I figured my SSD and Windows drive would be the thing that eventually hosed me, but nooooooo.
So I will be AWOL till I get it sorted out. Sigh.
VCO's Designated Old Fart and Grandfather figure...
(If you had more than 4 channels on your TV when you were a kid, then get off my lawn!)
Posted Jul 16, 18 · OP
We'll be sure to kill extra planetmans for you, Judoka.
Christian and proud.

5428316104357597729.png
Posted Jul 17, 18
List
Undo
Hallelujah!!! IT IS HEALED!!!
I was able to raise the disk from the dead.
I got my new 2TB replacement disk, formatted it and renamed it to the letter of the old drive.
Then moved the old drive further down the chain and renamed it.
Then I started moving all the data across from the old drive, with periodic reboots making sure it still booted clean.
Then I started on moving the programs directories one at at time with reboots after each.
When I moved the ASUS AI Suite directory and rebooted - *POOF* it crashed again using the new drive.
SO booting in safe mode and renaming the sub-directory allowed a clean boot again.
Having Identified the bad set of software, I was able to rename the same directory on the "bad" drive so it could not load anything inside it on boot and TADA!!!
Rebooted like a champ and no painful days long software re-installs and updates!
So the new replacement drive went into the storage cabinet as a future backup for similar situations or future drive failure.
VCO's Designated Old Fart and Grandfather figure...
(If you had more than 4 channels on your TV when you were a kid, then get off my lawn!)
Posted Jul 23, 18 · OP
List
Undo
Latest threads
NoticeNotices