Welcome to the our forums!

All Leads Critical Expectations of Squad Leads

5 replies
This is a simple rubrick that I will use to gauge the effectiveness of leads during OPs.

Macro Level

1. Is the squad lead moving his men to the most ideal base?

2. Is the squad leader keeping his squad cohesive?

3. Is the squad leader placing/swapping beacons, and providing logistics?

4. Is the squad leader prioritizing enemy logistics, force multipliers and drops?

5. Is the squad leader redeploying against bad fights?

Micro Level

1. Is the squad comp good?

2. Is the squad leader changing his comp depending on the situation?

3. Is the squad leader calling out appropriate preparations for base defenses?

4. Is the squad leader able to juggle both shoot mans and leading?

5. Is the squad leader vocal, and keeping morale up?

6. Is the squad leader able to assert dominance and kick/ban unruly teammates?

7. Is the squad leader able to handle max crashes, overpop and armor columns effectively?

These are all things that I and BILLLLLLLLL will be looking for. The more you are able to complete these check offs, the more you will be favorable to achieving the squad leader tag.
5428168624837765953.png
Posted Apr 6, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Aren't the Macro Level questions expectations of Platoon Leads?

Also, would it be fair to add "are people having fun?" to the Macro Level?

Or is it assumed all the Macro questions are under the guise of "are people having fun?"

Because while the Macro questions certainly ask what's effective and efficient, I'm not quite sure if that always leads to a good time, which I think is a responsibility of the PL.
Posted Apr 6, 17
Although "macro" level questions can be expected platoon leads, all squad leads should be capable of understanding macro strategies in order to become efficient.

One of the biggest problems with our "PL" heavy structure is that our squad leads become nothing but repeaters of the platoon lead, regurgitating what he says while adding nothing into the leading process. Squad leads should be able to question the validity of the platoon leads decisions, and should be able to formulate priorities in battle. If anything, the platoon leads only real job is to pick fights, while the squad leads must carry the bigger burden of organizing and instructing the squad mates to action.

A good example is when we attack bases. The PL should honestly really just say, "Attack this base and set up sundies". It should be the SL's prerogative to divide his forces, pull appropriate multipliers and prioritize chokepoints and enemy logistics. This way the combat is more fluid and the PL can become a more backseat commander, putting smoke down on objectives and feeding information to squad leads rather than leading their squad for them.
5428168624837765953.png
Posted Apr 6, 17 · OP
List
Undo
I am assuming this is just for squad only and not for ops correct? Some of the macro level stuff should be platoon lead decision during ops.
Posted Apr 8, 17
And to titan's reply, if we are going to use more of a military set up, wouldn't squad leads concentrate more on the fire fight strategy during battles rather than the larger picture? If that isn't the case then we have no need for squad leads if you think about it...
Posted Apr 8, 17
I think the Macro analysis is at the very least useful for potential SLs, even though I'd personally regard many of them as falling under the jurisdiction of PLs for two simple reasons.

One is that PLs are unable to micromanage a full platoon. Basic instructions can be passed down, but one man managing 48 people is factually less efficient than 4 men managing 12 men apiece. It follows

The second is that as it seems VCO no longer pulls full platoons, SLs will be far more instrumental in assisting platoon leads in both decision making and execution of those decisions.

TL;DR: It currently seems as if SLs are most needed as middle management and not just mouthpieces for the PL, as such these instructions are well designed.
A squadmate divulged his complaints to me,
So I schlonged the whiny troll.
I kicked him for fun as his tears began to run and said
"Your salt is what feeds my soul".
Posted Apr 8, 17
List
Undo
Latest threads
NoticeNotices