Welcome to the our forums!

Reasons to log in every day (or so.)

4 replies
Wavion M
This is food for thought for those who may not know. If you do, disregard. Even if its only for 5 or 10 minutes, many things in STO make it worth doing. These are just a few reasons:

1) Refined Dilithium. Lots of things require Refined Dilithium, like ships, upgrades, reputation projects and so forth. You can only refine 8000 ore per day, but it only takes seconds to click the refine dilithium button. I was lazy about this and now have about 600,000 ore that I'll probably never catch up on refining. The only other option is to buy it, but this can only be done with Zen (real money.)

2) Setting up your various improvement clocks. Reputation, R&D, Admiralty and Doff missions are important for unlocking useful items and abilities, as well as creating and updating items. R&D, for example allows you to create various gear and upgrades to improve it, but its only really useful at higher levels. You can improve your R&D levels through research granting 6000 xp per slot, every 20 hours. There are 20 levels and each gets progressively harder to attain. Again, setting these up take very little time, but have a long clock. Obtaining commendations take Doff missions to rank up, and also take time. Setting them up takes little time, and some grant excellent bonuses. Diplomacy can unlock new transwarp locations, for example.

3) Events. There are fairly regular events most of which require completion of mission to get the goodies. The latest required 14 tokens (granted by 14 missions) to finish and provided a level XII melee weapon, a bunch of ore, etc. That mission took 5-10 minutes to complete.

4) Fleet marks = fleet credits. If you are going to max your reputations, you're going to need marks. If you are going to help build the fleet base or buy any of its eventually unlocked goodies, you need fleet marks. There are daily bonuses for each, once per 20 hours. For fleet marks, you can get a lot doing Crystalline Catastrophe (135 with the daily bonus, I believe, and 80 subsequently.) This PvE queue mission usually lasts about 5 minutes, and you rarely have to wait more that a minute for it to launch. Easy money.

5) Last one for now. Duty officers, Doffs, or red shirts, whatever you want to call them, they are important. Obviously you need them to do Doff missions. They are not hard to come by, per se, but they aren't always quick. At Star Fleet Academy you can get three from the Vulcan, Tellerite, and Andorian ambassadors in the courtyard. These take a doff slot, but are otherwise free and provide a random common doff. The personnel officer offers free general, tactical, engineering and science officers, although one of these missions costs 1000 refined dilithium. Don't choose this if you don't want to lose your refined ore. Doing this every few days will provide you with doff you can use for missions, donate to Fleet holding projects, or turn in for improved doffs. Turning in 5 common doffs will get you a random uncommon. 5 uncommon becomes one rare, etc.

Just a tiny bit of inspiration for anyone, playing, starting to play, or starting to play again to drop in.

Wavion
Posted Mar 22, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Ok, I downloaded this game awhile back but did not know what to do nor did I give it the time to figure it out. I will try to get in the game sometime when you or BILLLLLLLLL is on TS and figure out what to do. I really don't think this will be a game I enjoy but I am willing to help y'all out.
5428417575384367617.png

5428549186539204913.png
Posted Mar 22, 17
List
Undo
Wavion M
That's cool, Dubs. If you aren't into it, I'd never want you to stay with it. The support is much appreciated. STO is not like PS2, except perhaps for the opportunity to work together. It is, speaking in generalities, a WoW wanna-be in space. It can be very "grindy" and as a F2P game it tends to feel like spending money on it is a good idea. That being said, I've spent very little money on it, and you are certainly less limited as a F2P gamer than other's I have played. DCUO in particular. Many non-VCO folks play it exclusively because its Star Trek. You may have to minimize your chat window from time to time, to avoid the impending nausea caused by discussions of which Star Trek captain was the best. But that kind of nonsense is plentiful in any online game.

I've not been getting on TS because its mostly just been me, lately. But I'll try to remember to get on when I'm in game, in case people are curious.

Thanks,

Wavion
Posted Mar 22, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Stormpaw OSupporting!
I did actually get on today, did some simple stuff, felt good to be on there again, also promoted you way up Wavion so you should be able to do anything you need
VCO's Resident Big Lazy Loudmouthed Bear
Posted Mar 22, 17
Wavion M
Dilithium mine Tier 1 on 5 day countdown. That, was expensive. But should be worth it.
Posted Mar 23, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Latest threads
NoticeNotices