Welcome to the our forums!
Page
of 2

Is ARK really that bad?

14 replies
OK, before anyone starts going "Doomblade, what crazy thoughts would make you say that ARK is a bad game?", let me just answer in advance and say it's because of Mack. For those who are unaware of him, Mack is a STEAM curator who, alongside gameplay videos on his alternate channel, hosts a YouTube series called "Worth a Buy". He takes new release games primarily for the PC and runs through the general jist of them, whether the gameplay mechanics are good, how well it runs, etc. At the end of each video he either gives it a "thumb up" or "thumb down" recommendation. When ARK first came out, he gave it a thumbs up. However, three weeks ago, he released a "revisited" episode where he took another look at the game and this time he's completely thumbed it down. Apparently, ARK is a time-consuming "maintenance program" as he put it, where you have to spend hours on end non-stop in order to tame dinosaurs, and all of the problems that were there at the beginning are still there, PLUS the DLC makes it seem more of a money-grab now. So I'm just curious, since VCO has an ARK division, is that really true? Is ARK nothing more than a non-stop daycare for dinosaurs? I just want some opinions from online peers before I decide on shelling out $50 for the game + DLC.

For those who are curious as to how bad Mack said the game is, here is his video.
Christian and proud.

5428316104357597729.png
Posted Mar 6, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Stormpaw OSupporting!
Like I've said a dozen times before, ARK is a fuckin' awful game, it's terrible, really poorly optimised, clunky, over-complicated, and yet somehow, it never ceases to be a shit load of fun if you have a good group of friends in it.
VCO's Resident Big Lazy Loudmouthed Bear
Posted Mar 6, 17
List
Undo
wrote:
Like I've said a dozen times before, ARK is a fuckin' awful game, it's terrible, really poorly optimised, clunky, over-complicated, and yet somehow, it never ceases to be a shit load of fun if you have a good group of friends in it.

Sounds like we have a type
5428168624837765953.png
Posted Mar 7, 17
List
Undo
The game takes up SIXTY gigs. Well, sixty-five. Fun fact, according to Steam, the base game is 66659 megabytes. 666, apt for a game that feels like it came out of Satan's butt hole. So, either A, have a terabyte or more HDD, or don't fucking play it. I'll admit, the shit was fun when I played it with everyone on the server, but even then, it's a bad game. It's fun because of the people, take that away, and the game is shit. On the lowest of settings, this game lags your ass. The settings are overly complicated, nothing streamlined. Last I checked, you had to reset your key bindings if you changed them while actually in-game, because they don't save unless done from the menu.

Also, apparently, they are now paying modders to mod. So... you've hired them as programmers because you all can't afford to finish your game and make it good? No matter what your settings are, even on the lowest of the low, even when your game looks like literal potato, it runs like shit. Less than 30 FPS. For me at least.

While my PC is not a good PC, and should certainly never be used as a benchmark, I exceed the minimum requirement just a bit. (Side note, they never updated the system requirements to reflect it's actual download size, it still says a storage space of 40,000. Unless there's something I'm not understanding, you can't get negative storage on a hard drive.) But with the lowest settings, it feels like potato. This game runs shittier than fucking Planetside on my PC, and that game kills my PC, and most people I've run with in ops know, because I bitch about it all the time. Sure, one game is 65 gigs, and the other is 16, but holy shit, for a game that takes up 4 times the size, it sure runs 64 times shittier. At it's current state, don't buy, the game is like radioactive waste, it has interesting properties, but it's bad for the environment, it will give you cancer, and you sure as hell don't want it in your house.

Quick question, does anyone know of a game that takes up around the same amount of space or more?
Video games don't make people violent. The lag does.

5428404727511009585.png
Posted Mar 8, 17
wrote:
Quick question, does anyone know of a game that takes up around the same amount of space or more?
GTA V, The Elder Scrolls (take your pick), Dark Souls/Bloodborne (again, pick your poison), most open world AAA titles nowadays unfortunately.
5428381682172758433.png
Posted Mar 8, 17
Even World of Warcraft is only sitting at 41gigs. I think ark had the potential to be a HD resemblance of minecraft, but then they blew it. I agree with the above, but my biggest beef is that you can be killed while you are logged out. Thus, it forces you to play habitually or suffer losses. I don't like it when a game or company tries to manhandle my life, so I quit. I'm fine with my base being there. If I choose not to log in for a week and someone destroys my base, that's my fault.
I can't believe someone is actually reading my signature. You rock.
Posted Mar 9, 17
Woah wait, you can kill people EVEN WHEN THEY'RE LOGGED OUT?!!? Do they look like they're sleeping then when you approach their IG character, or are they just standing there or what?
Christian and proud.

5428316104357597729.png
Posted Mar 9, 17 · OP
It looks like they are sleeping. I think they have the unconscious label on them.
I can't believe someone is actually reading my signature. You rock.
Posted Mar 9, 17
I started playing this game when it first came out. Ark is the reason that I got in a fight with my wife and built a new PC. I played for 379 hours and enjoyed all of it except the last 10 or so hours. As I continued to play I realized that the game just kinda became work. Instead of having fun killing stuff, I was out mining stone or whatever resource I needed to be able to build whatever I needed. The only time I would take my dinos out were only to gets enough feed to fill the trough.

The game becomes stale once you reach a high level. You are no longer scared of any of the dinos and there isn't any more excitement or thrill. I recommend anyone to try it out because it was fun at times and with the right group.

Me and my son once had a house and were playing together on the VCO server but it wasn't long and it was all wiped due to server updates/changes.
5428417575384367617.png

5428549186539204913.png
Posted Mar 9, 17
wrote:
Ark is the reason that I got in a fight with my wife and built a new PC.

>Gets in argument with wife over PC gaming
>Chooses PC over wife

My Hero
5428381682172758433.png
Posted Mar 10, 17
List
Undo
Page
of 2
Latest threads
NoticeNotices