Welcome to the our forums!
Page
of 2

How I feel about Overwatch Part 1

18 replies
Dicerson O>_
That won't happen, because it would be broken. If Bastion had a personal shield, they would have to gimp his DPS so immensely hard to prevent him from dominating the entire game every time he'd be a worthless hero to play. Even if they halved both his fire rate and his damage (Effectively fourthing his DPS), but gave him that 1k HP personal shield back AND the 180* restriction arc, he'd be completely broken.
What is my life?

I could say alot.

I could write a novel,

or a paragraph.

But instead, I'd much rather write one sentence and leave it at that.

Life is good.
Posted Jan 29, 17
List
Undo
wrote:
That's one of the things I really like about Overwatch. Despite how some characters receive a lot of hate *cough*widowmaker*cough*, none of them are inherently bad. If you play them good (i.e. finding good placement as a bastion), then you will win against a bad player. Bastion does do crazy damage against an unsuspecting target though. I feel like they should nerf his damage/firerate a bit and bring back the shield when deployed.

I honestly think a shield would be too OP. Perhaps increase the armour by 50 when he's in sentry mode. He has self repair, so a shield in sentry would be... cheese. I mean, his ability is to self repair, but if he has something that regains automatically without him needing to actually stop doing anything, it would be OP. His damage and firerate is fine, perhaps increase the bloom speed just a tad and increase maximum cone of fire a bit as well. How ever, in recon mode, perhaps decrease the SMG damage, but make it have an increase in ammunition by at minimum 5, but not exceeding an amount of 15. The damage decrease would be proportional to how much they decide to increase the ammunition amount. The only reason you would actually die to Bastion is, A) Being caught off guard, B) Remaining in an open area for too long, and not returning fire, *Pharah* C) Bastion being damage buffed by Mercy, having a personal Reinhardt shield, and being in the cheesiest spot ever.
Video games don't make people violent. The lag does.

5428404727511009585.png
Posted Jan 29, 17
I'm not saying give him a huge shield/armor buff in sentry mode. But nerf his damage so that he doesn't melt you before you can react, and then give him a bit more sustain considering the fact that he can't move. That makes him easy pray for heroes like junkrat. Obviously, it would have to be on ptr for a while to work out a balance between the two, but the current meta is not good for a bastion at higher play levels.

Perhaps they could even do this, let him move in sentry. I know it defeats the purpose, but make is super slow. Maybe 5-10% of his normal speed. He would still be an easy target to overtake/shoot/get-hooked, but it would allow him to slowly move out of a disadvantages position without having to reconfigure. The above still assuming a nerf to his dps in sentry mode. Or they could change his repair, as previously mentioned it is his shtick. Make it so that he repairs faster or doesn't getting interrupted while in sentry mode. Or even make him cc immune/resistant while in sentry.

My point in all this being, the way he is now, he is all or nothing. He either completely decimates or is decimated himself, without much of a middle ground. On smaller maps or fights near spawn, this isn't much of a problem. But when this frequently forces a long walk back on either side, it detracts from the fun.
I can't believe someone is actually reading my signature. You rock.
Posted Jan 29, 17
Dicerson O>_
He doesn't melt people before they can react. Try playing bastion. Its much more difficult to kill people than you'd think. Yeah, if they sit still and let you hit them theyll die rather quickly, but I have never seen anyone who was actively moving around and, you know, playing the game, sit still enough to die that fast.

As he stands right now, Bastion is fine. He has a niche and he fills it well, I wish his baseline mobility was slightly higher, but really only because Attack Bastion is hard. The point of the character is to sacrifice offensive capability (IE, he can't deal nearly as much damage while moving than any other character) to gain immense defensive capabilities (No character can match his damage while he isn't moving). That's it. That is his shtick, he has a bit of self-healing like soldier (Albeit a bit more reliable, but disables his offensive abilities to do so) and a kick-ass ult (Like every other character). But the point of Bastion is to be the guy who is worse at Offense than he his defense, unlike most other characters who can do both pretty much at the same effectiveness. Characters that similarly sacrifice offense for defense would be torbjorn, symmetra, and widow. Although Blizzard would love to say all the "Offense" characters sacrifice defense, they don't. They are the baseline to which all other characters are compared, so their effectiveness on either side is about equal.

Anyways, I do have to disagree with the "all or nothing" statement, at least partially. While yes, for a very bad Bastion player it certainly feels that way, when you've played Bastion quite a bit (I know players who are 200+ levels over me, have Bastion as their top most played time-wise, and they still have less than half my hours), you often are able to mitigate your "failure" state into an effective middleground, becoming an effective hero basically in all cases except the most extreme failure states (Dieing within a couple seconds of engaging the enemy, every time). Mostly because Bastion is less about finding that one good spot and camping, and more about knowing where you need to be at what time. Its positioning, but not the kind that revolves around finding "The spot". There are times when you need to move from that nice corner, low cover, or height advantaged position because there simply is no way for it to work. You need to be where your team is, or at least in a position where the enemy is not/cannot be as a result of your team. There are plenty of times when I've deployed in the middle of the open, no cover, no walls, not even really a good view or perspective, but since my team was there and able to buy me the time to deploy, I would be able to act as an (albeit temporary) force multiplier in that specific fight, winning a trade and giving us the edge. Then I undeploy and move somewhere else.

To put it simply, while aiming is important (as with all things), and its nice to find a good spot, whether or not you are a Good bastion is not so much playing to your already ludicrous strength, but by compensating for your one glaring weakness: Mobility.
What is my life?

I could say alot.

I could write a novel,

or a paragraph.

Life is good.
Posted Jan 29, 17
List
Undo
The defense for such a trash character is immense :p
VCO's Resident Transgirl!!
Posted Jan 30, 17
List
Undo
That's it! Stormpaw ban Jade Merrydown from the forums. Lol, jk. To that point though, that is one thing I really love about Overwatch. They aren't trying to "balance" it out where all the heroes are alright at everything. Each of them has their own role that they fit in. Now if they could just do the same thing with World of Warcraft, I would be the happiest man alive.

I am still a freshy to the game, let alone bastion. But from what you say Dice, it sounds like we have the same play style. I could almost compare it to being a sniper in ps2. You find a good spot, get a kill or two, then move and find a new spot so you don't get countered as easy. One of my favorite things to do is hide around a door (let's say the left side). Get a kill or two on someone. Then move to a different place (let's say the right side now). It is so funny to see them run through the door and start firing left, and then you can shoot them in the back because you are on the right side now.
Posted Jan 30, 17
wrote:
That's it! Stormpaw ban Jade Merrydown from the forums. Lol, jk. To that point though, that is one thing I really love about Overwatch. They aren't trying to "balance" it out where all the heroes are alright at everything. Each of them has their own role that they fit in. Now if they could just do the same thing with World of Warcraft, I would be the happiest man alive.

I am still a freshy to the game, let alone bastion. But from what you say Dice, it sounds like we have the same play style. I could almost compare it to being a sniper in ps2. You find a good spot, get a kill or two, then move and find a new spot so you don't get countered as easy. One of my favorite things to do is hide around a door (let's say the left side). Get a kill or two on someone. Then move to a different place (let's say the right side now). It is so funny to see them run through the door and start firing left, and then you can shoot them in the back because you are on the right side now.

First off, even suggesting that Bastion should be able to move around while in his sentry mode is absolutely dumb as fuck. I mean no personal offence, but goddamn that was bad to even my standards. Anyhow, Blizzard is internally testing Bastion with certain modifications. Such as a resource system for repair, similar to Dva's. Allowing him to move and repair while in recon mode, and decreasing the spread and increasing magazine size for his gun in recon. The downside is they want to increase spread for his sentry mode, and remove headshots. It's one thing if Ana or Sym don't have headshots, Ana is a tranq, it's not going to straight up crit your head unless you were to shoot it straight into someones goddamn eye, and Sym is a lock on type thing where it's an entire field that covers the enemy as they are essentially rearranged alive. However, bullets. Go through your head, go through your entire body. Bullets should not be non headshot.
Video games don't make people violent. The lag does.

5428404727511009585.png
Posted Feb 2, 17
Dicerson O>_
Here is a rundown of the changes Blizzard have announced they are working on.

1st- Decreased Spread and Increased Magazine Size in Recon Mode

2nd- Increased Spread & Removal of Headshots in Sentry Mode

3rd- Can now use Repair while Moving or Taking Damage

4th- Receive less damage while in Sentry mode.

5th- Make transforming less suicidal

Very basic list, no numbers, and no details as to exactly how they plan on accomplished the 4th and 5th ones.
What is my life?

I could say alot.

I could write a novel,

or a paragraph.

Life is good.
Posted Feb 2, 17
Yeah, the removing headshot thing is dumb. Almost all the other heroes can get the skill shot, they have no legit reason to take it from bastion. If you can hs someone half the map away in sentry mode, you deserve the extra damage. I like that they are looking to buff his recon mode. It seems to me that he is currently useless in recon (assuming equal skills levels). I like the other adjustments too, they just have to make sure they don't make him to tanky in sentry unless they absolutely bomb his dps. Which I wouldn't really mind. I think it would be really cool for him to be an offense (with a buff to recon) and guardian/support hybrid. Make him really tanky, 1000-2000, in sentry, but with really low dps, akin to what his current recon mode is or less, just with the extra magazine size. It would also make him a must pick for point holds though, so they probably wouldn't want to make his health the above mentioned 2000.

Edit: Also maybe add/increase the crit on his back. This would help offset the excessive tankyness and good positioning combo. It would also help low dps heroes like ginji stand a chance. If he could move around behind you real quick and melee your crit spot, that would be a strong counter.
Posted Feb 2, 17 · Last edited Feb 2, 17 by jjamiel
Page
of 2
Latest threads
NoticeNotices