Welcome to the our forums!

On the subject of reform, reply to community meeting dec 8 16

9 replies
Having listened to the concerns of JudokaNC, and DSF(LeHiggles) during the meeting I myself found a detrimental detail that has been overseen during the meeting itself. Whilst their concerns were 'addressed', I would like to suggest that their well founded concerns were perhaps misunderstood as it was in a way inadequately worded. Hence, in hopes that their concerns could be better understood and attended to I started this thread. Now down to business.

During the meeting the idea of reforming the parameters to which a outfit member in planetside 2 is considered to be active, was considered and accepted as a primary response to the issue of depreciating numbers in formal operation hours. What was decided upon was (as I understand it); to have a more rigorous recruiting requirement, to have a strict teamspeak presence requirement, to have a strict website presence, and lastly show interest and (or regularly play) other games. Only those who have qualified the above requirements, are only then considered to be a community member. Thus raised the concern of "are those who qualify all requirements except regular interest in other games, and regular activity within in forums be considered an 'inactive member' and thus removed?" This I think is the main concern of JudokaNC, and LeHiggles.

In my opinion the obvious response to this issue, is to in effect 'draw the line' on each and every requirement that is above. To state definite parameters that are; easy to understand, and easy to state. These parameters must also include exceptions to players who only play planetside 2 and get on teamspeak. While this could make the system more complex, it is required as to not start a 'elite' culture that would no doubt put many dedicated planetside 2 only players off.
5428530264748119713.png
Posted Dec 8, 16 · OP · Last edited Dec 8, 16 by IIGazII
List
Undo
Stormpaw OSupporting!
As far as I understand it, playing or having an interest in other games is not a requirement, and thus would have no influence over whether a member is considered inactive or not. Rather, the intent from the 'recruit within community' aspect is that by having a more tightly focused group who know each other and communicate better, as opposed to the literal hundreds in the outfit just there for a tag and not even interested in squads or ops, that they will then have more frequent and better quality interactions with the community as a whole, which would offer avenues to foster a more natural growing interest in what everyone else is doing.

However that desired outcome aside, the Planetside outfits restructure really isn't relevant to other games, the main goal of it is to help the outfit function better in it's own right, shedding those who show no real interest and keeping those that still want to actively play as a community.

That said, this is Bagel's baby, and I probably shouldn't be speaking for him, so remember this is just what I understood of it, I may still be corrected.
VCO's Resident Big Lazy Loudmouthed Bear
Posted Dec 8, 16
List
Undo
Stormpaw basically got it right. Right now, as a result of whatever actions occurred (that even i took) within the past year, we have alot of Planetside 2 outfit members/recruits that do not participate in our squads and are not members of the website or community at large. We are essentially pushing the reset button on the router, since we have failed to get the current people into the community. We're starting new and fresh, and our recruitment process now will include a direct line to the forums and community rather than simple in game membership.
5428381682172758433.png
Posted Dec 8, 16
List
Undo
WalMartGreeter OSupporting!
Stormpaw is correct that having interest in multiple games was not one of the requirements for being a VCO member. My interpretation was that the Voodoo Shipping Company community (website/forums/TS3) wants to start deemphasizing PS2 as our primary game and source of recruitment. As long as you are active in the greater community, then you satisfy the main requirement for being in VCO.

As far as where is the line is drawn, solely being an active VCO (PS2) member is not sufficient enough for retaining your membership. Does this risk losing active competent PS2 players that don't want to be active in the greater community? Absolutely. But apparently, our new goal is now to build the greater community for future games.

Of course, none of the ideas have been implemented in any shape yet. I would allow PS2 leadership to make a formal announcement on their plans before worrying about any personal impact yet.
Posted Dec 9, 16
List
Undo
I definitely think that point is deserving further discussion. WHAT OF the inevitable folks who satisfy all of the other requirements, but have no interest in the other games in our lineup? Forcing folks to gain interest in games they aren't into might not work out well, imo.
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in"

- Greek Proverb
Posted Dec 9, 16
List
Undo
Or the flip side, which is my concern. I am active in the community, to a lesser extent, but almost never play ps2 anymore (leads are cool, my internet is just crap). It seems the goal is to remove people who play ps2 but don't ever participate in ops/etc. Does that mean that people who rarely play ps2, but when they do are in ops, will lose their tags as well? I like being able to hit the outfit button in squad listings, it makes it easier to join up.
I can't believe someone is actually reading my signature. You rock.
Posted Dec 9, 16
List
Undo
Here's a thought: what about the idea of simply tweaking our inactivity policy? I know that's already planned, however is a great piece of infrastructure to build on and utilize in this.
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in"

- Greek Proverb
Posted Dec 9, 16
List
Undo
Stormpaw OSupporting!
We seem to be throwing a lot of doubts and suggestions here towards a plan we haven't even seen a full written version of.

Can we please just let Bagel work out the intricacies of his idea and maybe post a plan before we all go looking for holes in it? as is, we've heard a base outline and everyone seems to be freaking out about ins and outs they simply don't know yet. Let's show him a bit of trust guys, I highly doubt he's gunna go out of his way to fuck over solid community members.
VCO's Resident Big Lazy Loudmouthed Bear
Posted Dec 9, 16
List
Undo
I apologize for contributing to the confusion, when asked "what defines a community member versus an outfit member" yesterday I instinctively said "someone who joins us for multiple games". This is incorrect; I said it because it's most certainly my desire to see all our members join us in our adventures but it would be horribly unrealistic to expect ALL folks to play ALL games. What quantifiably defines a member of the community versus outfit is whether or not you're signed up here on this site. The desire is to see more members active in our games as well as forum discussions but these things can only be encouraged, not forced.

With these new changes as I understand, and likely another source of confusion, attaining membership in the outfit will require signing up on the site as well as joining the squad/platoon on TeamSpeak. So soon the qualifications for both membership in outfit and community will be one and the same although technically separate designations. To be clear, you will be required to be a community member to be an outfit member but you do not need to be an outfit member to be a community member.

As much as I would love to make a qualification for community membership playing multiple games, it's not possible to quantify "future activity within new games" and difficult to set a "minimal acceptable activity within community functions". We need a checkbox option for this; Sign up on site? Member of the community. Everything else is encouraged.
I wanted a custom title but "Machinima Makin, Platoon Leadin, Canadian Rock Star" took too many characters.
Posted Dec 9, 16
List
Undo
I do apologize that I freaked out before anything formally written has been made. But I think it's important to clear up small misunderstandings as soon as possible. The reply's have been very helpful to calming down a lot of people down I think, so thank you!
5428530264748119713.png
Posted Dec 9, 16 · OP
List
Undo
Latest threads
NoticeNotices