Welcome to the our forums!

To battle against the salts

7 replies
I’ve been having a bunch of fun with our LoL group, picking up the game just to play with our voodoo boys and gals and haven’t been disappointed yet in the decision to surrender my soul to yet another MOBA. Shoutout to Kiatora and Gortwist for their efforts, but a shoutout to everyone in our happy LoLerskates family for doing our darnedest to keep things fun and relaxed in spite of the amazing saltiness that typically comes with the game. For those who didn’t know, I used to play DOTA very intensely and often (It took over two years for me to reach 500 hours in TF2 and only a single year to clock over 1000 into DOTA) so I’m very well acquainted with just how difficult it can be to balance the knowledge-intensive and performance-based gameplay with the teamwork without being a complete dick.

The League community’s recently began addressing a slowly devolving atmosphere. As I mentioned in the meeting we all had about it a few weeks back, I still feel that the cause of such lies with each member of the community, myself included; the game teaches its players to persevere through difficult games in order to achieve comebacks, an unfortunate side-effect of this being that it teaches players to simply put up with their grievances. Not a terribly bad suggestion under normal circumstance, but the repetitive nature of the game has a habit of grinding those little annoyances into a fine cocaine which causes the most heinous of freakouts.

Communication will be the key in mitigating the salt; letting our teammates, fellow voodoo, and friends know exactly when something is irritating you in a (hopefully) calm manner. It could be something as big as the ult a teammate just whiffed, something as small as your lane partner snagging last hits, or something that’s been reoccurring like not being able to play the role/champ you want to. I have two suggestions to help out though.

The “Know Who Do Yo Voodoo” Rule
We are Voodoo Shipping Co. (duh). You sign in to Voodoo Shipping’s TS server, are currently reading this on Voodoo Shipping’s website, and you play with, and are, a member of Voodoo Shipping Co. So when you play ANY game with us; be it LoL, Planetside 2, Smite, Ark, any of them, you must acknowledge that it’s no longer just your game. It belongs to all of us. Voodoo Shipping Co. strictly enforces that all supported games are open to all of its members; skill levels, prior experience, none of that matters so long as everyone’s having fun. Kiatora and Gortwist are trying their best to raise the level of play within our LoL community, but that’s no excuse to forget that skill gaps exist and likely will exist for a very long time in a game as performance driven as this one. Therefore, the responsibility to ensure that you are playing with folks whom you can enjoy playing with is ENTIRELY YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. No one is forcing you to play with Voodoo, we’re all just here to have fun together. If you can identify members of the community with whom you’ve had difficulty playing with on a mechanical level; the gap in player-knowledge is too big, they prefer tactics which you do not enjoy, they choose role/champions that don’t synergize well with the roles/champion you like to play, etc. then please take responsibility in your choices whether or not to play with them. Likewise, please try your best to avoid taking offense if someone refuses your request to play with them if it’s to be denied under these circumstances. Not all peoples jive with one another at first and there’s nothing wrong with that. Set up practice games in which you can both learn to play with one another, but trial-by-fire will almost certainly leave both parties burnt if anyone feels ‘forced’ to play with someone they would rather not.

But history and win-loss scores have taught us that the above is much more easily said than done; peer pressure can force someone’s hand and some people just have a habit of biting off more than they can chew. To assist in implementing Know Who Do Yo Voodoo, I’m also suggesting…

The “One-Shot Drop” Rule
Going forward, any one member of Voodoo Shipping Co. may force the surrender of a league of Legends game they happen to be playing. If any Voodoo member starts a surrender vote, all other Voodoo members must agree to the surrender. This is true regardless of whether this is a casual game, ranked, regardless of game-type, current scores, or the perceived probabilities of victory.

Whoa, Hatsune! You beacon of Canadian glory! Isn’t that a bit harsh!? I mean, if the first rule is “know what you’re getting into” then why do we need to force-stop games? Because, my dear friend, sometimes people DON’T know what they’re getting into; emotions can be triggered mid-game due to a new upset, sometimes folks are having a bad day and that doesn’t become apparent until after the cue starts, or maybe someone was looking forward to trying a new laning strat just to face the perfect counter to it. My point is that things change, and a 45-minute game is a long time to sit through with someone who no longer wants to play. Saltiness beckons more saltiness, so why force someone to suffer through what they think is a bad game just so you can have an okay one while dealing with them?

Wanna play more? Just recue with those who actually want to play. Not having fun? Surrender and go do something else. No hard feelings, no harm done.

What do we think?
I wanted a custom title but "Machinima Makin, Platoon Leadin, Canadian Rock Star" took too many characters.
Posted Apr 23, 16 · OP
List
Undo
I don't play League, but I think it's overwhelmingly easy to see that attempting to force other community members to continue playing a game when they clearly are not enjoying themselves is greatly against our community codes of conduct (specifically the all-encompassing rule, ELE, and #3: be respectful).

Now, if the nature of the game entails that any single team member surrendering effectively ensures defeat, then I'm 100% behind a policy of all other team members also surrendering. But if there's still a realistic chance of being able to win a fight without that one team member, the rest of the team shouldn't be forced to throw away their chance of an exciting, underdog victory purely because one person is having a bad day (not to mention bound to produce less salt - you can't bank on everyone always being okay with total surrender, but if the designated team leader makes the call, it's easier for people to comply).

Does LoL designate team leaders in every match, or is it just sort of organized, team-minded chaos? Because a designated team leader to make the call of a full surrender or not, I feel, is more appropriate than putting that power into each and every single person's hands.
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in"

- Greek Proverb
Posted Apr 23, 16 · Last edited Apr 23, 16

The “One-Shot Drop” Rule
Going forward, any one member of Voodoo Shipping Co. may force the surrender of a league of Legends game they happen to be playing. If any Voodoo member starts a surrender vote, all other Voodoo members must agree to the surrender. This is true regardless of whether this is a casual game, ranked, regardless of game-type, current scores, or the perceived probabilities of victory.

I don't know if I like this clause because this will basically mean if one member is not having fun or is having some sort of issue, everyone in the team HAS to leave the game or attempt a surrender. I don't know if I like that idea because it means that if four people are having fun but one person, for some reason, is just salty or has a bad attitude and wants to leave, the other four, by edict of the Company, HAS to leave. Sounds a bit unfair and I don't think that's right for the others who are enjoying themselves and having fun.
5428168624837765953.png
Posted Apr 23, 16
List
Undo
Dicerson O>_
Some background info for the uninitiated.

In League of Legends, although it is not strictly guaranteed, if one team member is completely unavailable (They leave, afk, etc.), Loss is more than 99% ensured. Of my 4 years (maybe 5?) of LoL I have won about 15 games 4v5.

Thats out of thousands.

So although there is that slight chance that you get an epic teamfight late-game or they also have a leaver or fuck up, the odds of winning 4v5 are so astronomically low, the time spent winning one is not worth the fun you could potentially have in a normal win the very next game (Although that is never guaranteed either).

I like the idea of assigning a "team captain" of sorts, that cfschris suggested, who makes the call. As titan is right that if 4 people are having fun but one is super salty because they themselves aren't performing to their expectations (Looking at you, myself), they can't just drop the entire game. I have been in that spot myself, and have won games from that spot and been fine afterwards (Though a little irritated, it fades).

If we, at every game, assign a team captain (And I believe this could be something akin to squad leader or PL in PS2, an official rank of sorts), that captain can look at not only the game and be the "shot-caller", so to speak, but also at his teammates and determine if the game is worth playing out. This is not something we can give just anybody (certainly not me, :p), as it is just as likely the team captain ends up in that position and uses his power to end the game against the other people's will. Gortwist, for example, I have no doubts could fulfill this position on any team he is on. Kia as well, though I heard he was leaving for family reasons recently (Though gogo may have just been trolling me).

Its a good idea, but it needs some moderation. Else it be abused by consistently salty people.
What is my life?

I could say alot.

I could write a novel,

or a paragraph.

But instead, I'd much rather write one sentence and leave it at that.

Life is good.
Posted Apr 23, 16
List
Undo
I understand perfectly why it seems odd to give each individual player the power to end games; the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few, democratic perspectives, and the team-based gameplay calls for folks to sometimes take one (or a few) for the team. But I think we’re missing two key points;

1 – As mentioned, One-Shot Drop is just a tool to implement Know Who Do Yo Voodoo. If someone IS going to abuse the rule, don’t play with them. Ask them to play with other folks or on their own and just recue with those who share your tolerance for whatever it is you’ve been running into.

2 – Members already poses the ability to do this. You can just leave games, leave your friends hanging, and accept the consequences. The only difference is that abandoning a game can hurt the feelings of your other teammates, and becomes just another anxiety to deal with. But why penalize this? The goal is NOT victory, but to have fun. Victory in the game, bettering ones skills in the game, hell, even the game itself are all just tools used to craft joy and fulfillment. Losing sight of that is what makes conversations like “this bullshit champ is fucking me up every time I try to do something” really difficult because what salty person is REALLY saying is “I’m not having fun being outplayed”. So rather than expect our player-base to change overnight and punishing them until they do, all I’m suggesting is to make the rules work for them and complement our ongoing efforts to detoxify the LoL channels.
I wanted a custom title but "Machinima Makin, Platoon Leadin, Canadian Rock Star" took too many characters.
Posted Apr 24, 16 · OP
For the sake of fully fleshing this out, what are Kiatora and Gortwist 's thoughts on this idea? They may have some insight us less-LoL-active folks wouldn't have.
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in"

- Greek Proverb
Posted Apr 25, 16
( cfschris , just to let you know; I'm resigning from being an LoL Lead, as I'm wanting to start buckling down on Youtube and streaming *which I haven't really had a chance to pursue as of lately*. I'll still be around for advising and teaching, but it won't be official. Anyways, now for my actual reply!)

Tbh, I've had a lot on my plate and I haven't really been making wise decisions across the board; but, I can say that these rules are worthwhile looking into. The thing is, my brother Durse got me into the game about 6 years ago and got me into the mindset of "Never give up, never surrender!"; and since I'm very stubborn, I just play until the end of the game. So, for the "One-Shot Drop" rule; I'm not a personal fan of it, but it may help with some of the salt happening and give people a chance to reset after a rough game. Anyways, as for the team captains; WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF IT SOONER!? It would have been a HUGE boon to the quality of comms and gameplay, and given people a chance of learning how to shot call and potentially looked at making a ranked team. Here in lies the problem, however; a lot of people amongst us don't have a lot knowledge of the game and (from what I seen and heard) most of them aren't really committed to learning more of the intricacies of the game. Those that do have the knowledge, often have the wrong set of logic and bad playing habits; on top of that, aren't willing to fully further themselves and clean out the gunk: Thus, making Training Nights very much useless and a sinkhole for time on both accounts.

Overall, the ideas and rules would be awesome things to implement in and may help with quite a few problems in the LoL Div; but it would come down to those in the community to accept them and that may not happen without some resistance.

Paging LoL Lead Gortwist , take a look and give us your BRAI-erhm thoughts!

P.S. Tacking on another note; for the team captain deal, idk how that would be setup exactly but it still would be worthwhile.

S.P.S. I AM going to make a few tutorial series for LoL, but that'll take time to get made and what not else; but I'll try to link either my channel or the videos to help ze pepplez eut.
VCO'S Resisident Head Summoner and fookin' McSwaggens.
Posted Apr 25, 16 · Last edited Apr 25, 16 by Kiatora
Dicerson O>_
Quite simple to set up the captain thing. Just mimick PS2, have a person who qualifies as a captain (A La @Gortwist) "shadow" someone shot-calling during a game, and advise them afterwards (or maybe even during) to help them get better, and when he believes they are finally good enough, promote them to official captain so that they, too, can help train people.

Of course only people willing to be captain's can be shadowed :p
What is my life?

I could say alot.

I could write a novel,

or a paragraph.

But instead, I'd much rather write one sentence and leave it at that.

Life is good.
Posted Apr 25, 16
List
Undo
Latest threads
NoticeNotices