Welcome to the our forums!
Page
of 11

Encyclopedia of Modern Aiming: Now with 100% Less Hacking Lizard People!

100 replies
wrote:
Can we talk mice? I looked at the G502, but I'd prefer something $20-30 less. I tend to like mice that don't seem overbuilt anyways. 4 buttons is the most I can ever imagine myself putting to good use.

I looked at the list of mice with no acceleration in the sensor, and checked a lot of them out, but it's so hard to get a feel for something from a newegg description. I'd like to hear some personal recommendations if anyone has them.

While I'm not elite shooter, I have the G502 and love it. Prior to that I had the G500 for years, but it started to suffer from the annoying double click issue. So I upgraded to one of the 12-button Logitech mouses, and then to a 6-button Razor, but still didn't like the way either one felt in my hand. So I ended up buying the G502 when it came out, and it fits my hand just as perfectly as the G500, and has just the right amount of buttons I need.

Prior to this thread I was running at about 2000 DPI (it can get up to 21000) and using the default in-game sensitivity. I still managed an average K/D of ~2, but in the last couple of weeks I've been cracking that DPI and sensitivity wayyy down thanks to the advice in this thread. I'm still adjusting, and pushing that number down further, but so far I'm handling it well.

So without any innate knowledge on mice and the min/max settings for shooters, I'd highly recommend the G502 as a comfortable and well-built mouse, about as close as you can get to a "standard" mouse without all the extra bells and whistles.
Posted Sep 23, 14
It's time.

Still waiting on the gif, but that's 100% sensitivity at 4000 DPI.

This was captured with Overwolf, so I blame that for the alien Vanu noises.
"What the hell is this understanding crap? Where's the drama? The hate? The jumping of conclusions?

This is the internet guys. Get it together." -CaptainInArms
Posted Sep 23, 14 · Last edited Sep 23, 14 by Brains101
List
Undo
That DPI would be great for House Painting Simulator.
Posted Sep 23, 14
List
Undo
Hey LeeHarvey, after reading this thread and making some minor adjustments to my DPI/Mouse settings; I am pleased to say that I have seen an overall improvement on my aim and stats.

But I am curious to know about your opinion on the new revamped Reflex Sights that are going to come out, from I've been testing so far the upcoming patch is going to revolutionize accuracy for pretty much nearly every player who is conscious about it.
5428173031187747825.png
5428184188515332241.png
5428232026849203761.png

Posted Sep 23, 14
List
Undo
wrote:
new revamped Reflex Sights

Everyone is going to die faster, Enemies and friendlies alike, as the reflex sight actually is in the real center of the screen.

Veterans will kill the same, we have been using overlays to create a dot in the center of the screen for the longest of times.

The group that will benefit most is probably Vanu, as their dot is extremely off center with their x1 sights, while the NC and TR scopes has the red dot somewhere inside the center of the screen.

Vanu HSR will skyrocket.
wrote:
I looked at the list of mice with no acceleration in the sensor, and checked a lot of them out, but it's so hard to get a feel for something from a newegg description. I'd like to hear some personal recommendations if anyone has them.

If you got a Best Buy near by, there is usually a section of the store where they display the latest logitech mice. You can touch the mice and click them to your hearts content.

The closest cousin to the G502 is the G400s or the G402. Both are considered fantastic mice of average size.

If you want a more technical explaination, I can see about pinging Visigodo for advice
Posted Sep 23, 14 · OP · Last edited Sep 23, 14 by HarvyLee
I found a couple good articles on mice

http://www.overclock.net/t/1251156/an-overview-of-mouse-technology

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-mouse/

Note that with that second article first it's from last year and second it's a website that appears to be 100% focused on choosing a best of everything - so no matter what in every article they're going to choose something as "the best" even if it's arbitrary. So I don't know if their choice for "best mouse" is relevant or not, but there's a lot of seemingly good general info throughout the article.
Posted Sep 24, 14 · Last edited Sep 24, 14 by Hasteras
Alright after a bit more digging most of what I've learned comes down to this: there are two optical sensors on the market right now which are considered top tier: the 3310 and the 3366, both made by Avago/Pixart (functionally same company, Avago is the brand but their manufacturing is done by Pixart).

The 3310 is what is found in most of the best reviewed mice such as the Zowie FK1, Mionix Avoir, Steelseries Rival, and several others. It's generally considered to be very good and for awhile was the best sensor available and has been the go-to choice for most of the top-tier gaming peripheral manufacturers since late 2013 or so.

However, the 3366 is the best reviewed sensor out there as of April or May this year and as of right now it's exclusive to the Logitech G502. Some people claim downsides of this mouse are that it's heavy and the base (in particular the glider pads) is awkwardly shaped. Rumor has it the 3366 sensor is likely exclusive to Logitech because supposedly they helped Avago develop it, but this is unconfirmed as far as I could tell.

Also supposedly one guy claims he's collected data that indicates Logitech mice have the least lag from button input (there's a chart floating around), but other people say that 1) the results aren't reproducible and 2) it's irrelevant, any in-game effect is totally negligible.

tl;dr: If you want the best sensor currently in existence, the Logitech G502 seems to be the only choice. But ergonomic considerations might make you want to wait a few months to see if Logitech releases something lighter and with a more symmetrical base with the same 3366 sensor.

P.S. don't buy the Razer Deathadder 2013 like that one article I linked says, much has changed since then...article is still a nice easy to read overview of mouse considerations but that's all it's really good for

edit: there are other sensors out there as well which are considered very good but I don't want to write a book and those two seem to be the industry standards for performance as of late-spring/mid-summer this year

edit 2: of the mice listed at http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0 the general consensus seemed to be the Zowie FK1 and the Roccat Kone Pure Military were the best mice not named G502. Both use the 3310 sensor. But that's just of the reviews I looked at, a lot of this seems to be subjective, I'm just summarizing what I saw. Keep in mind this is all based on research I did in a few hours earlier today.
List
Undo
http://www.asus.com/Gaming/STRIX_CLAW/

I'm using this mouse, but it's probably not available in the states unless you are willing to pay a premium to import it. 3310 sensor. Fucking amazing shape imo.

Also 3090 can be a decent sensor depending on the implementation. Though I would say that shape, and it's interaction with how you hold the mouse, is just as important as sensor. I have longish fingers and play with a fingertip grip, meaning that all five of my fingers come in contact with the mouse. Because of this, I prefer wider mice. I've used many mice that had good sensors but were narrow (Avior 7000, G502, Kone Pure Military) that gave me hand cramps as a result. Plus I shoot much higher accuracies with wide mice like Strix Claw/TT Theron Infrared because the shape gives me much better control.

I own like 12 different mice so if anyone wants size comparisons between different mice, I can take photos.

edit: for those considering Zowie, take a look at this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MouseReview/comments/26nhx9/the_zowie_ec1_and_ec2_are_the_shittest_mice_ive/

Another con for Zowie mice like the FK1 (which uses the 3310) is that while the sensor allows independent X-Y dpi (which is VERY useful for driving a Magrider) settings, the company's boner for not having any drivers at all limits the max DPI to 3200. That's at least 1800 extra DPI that you could switch to for faster turning when you get conc'd.
Posted Sep 24, 14 · Last edited Sep 24, 14 by visigodo
I love my G400, though I think it's discontinued; the G400S is it's latest iteration (~$60).
Posted Sep 24, 14
List
Undo
wrote:
I love my G400, though I think it's discontinued; the G400S is it's latest iteration (~$60).

the sensor on these was well reviewed from what I saw but I saw a lot of people had issues with poor cable durability. didn't see a lot of feedback on the ergonomics.
Page
of 11
Latest threads
NoticeNotices