Welcome to the our forums!

A.S.P.

8 replies
DrZuko M
Well, I called the prestige system. What do you guys think of the upcoming meta?

Here's a crude write up of the stream from 27.III.2018:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/87mj0h/crude_type_up_of_the_stream/

Here's the stream itself:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/243600271
VCO's resident aspiring astronomer.
Posted Mar 28, 18 · OP · Last edited Mar 28, 18
List
Undo
10,000 certs or membership? fuck that noise.

Edit: Just looked at some of the skills you can unlock as it stands, those are fucking retarded. Jackhammer secondary? Engineers with LMG's and Shotgun secondaries?

That many certs to unlock already puts you in a place where you have to choose between that or the new guns, and 10,000 in my experience does not build up quickly, that's starting to add a little more 'pay2win' feel, especially after the implants.
VCO's Resident Big Lazy Loudmouthed Bear
Posted Mar 28, 18 · Last edited Mar 28, 18
List
Undo
Dicerson O>_
Well that sucks. Game is going to die if/when this goes through

"Hey, lets put in something that only hardcore veterans and people who spend the vast majority of their day playing will get that makes them completely overpowered compared to everyone else, especially brand new players who could never hope to get any of this stuff in their lifetime! That's sure to bring in more players!"

Fucking idiots.
What is my life?

I could say alot.

I could write a novel,

or a paragraph.

But instead, I'd much rather write one sentence and leave it at that.

Life is good.
Posted Mar 28, 18
List
Undo
You guys really need to play the game before you bash it, because some of your complaints are ridiculous.

10k certs is certainly an investment. It's supposed to be. But by no means is it impossible. I blew all my certs a week ago on Implants and I'm already back up to 7k just by playing the 2-3 hours we do ops (and a bit of mid-day shenanigans with Judo). Also, by BR100 you should already have enough certs to max out most of weapons/vehicles you really want. I know this because I just reached BR100 on my VCO alt and I'm struggling to find things to upgrade. This was part of the reason for the cert dump into Implants.

And yes, the prestige system is for veterans. I can't think of any prestige system that is not. In fact, DBG management originally told the PS2 team to increase the level cap. They decided on this system instead, which is the same thing, only better. Would you rather grind out to BR150, or would you rather prestige and trait into a specialized build? And sorry but no, BR100 is not unreachable to "brand new players who could never hope to get any of this stuff in their lifetime!". If you hop on once a month for a few hours then sure, maybe. But it's far from impossible for active players, and I say this on behalf of the many who have multiple BR100s.

As for the P2W arguments? It's 100% achievable without membership. That said, a one-time $10 payment to prestige is not going to break the bank, especially for a free game that is as vast and complex as Planetside 2. Disregarding the payment aspect for a moment, the skills themselves are debatable. Some are strong, others not so much, but nothing here is going to make someone blatantly OP. And I say this as someone who was very taken aback by the announcement at first. However, once I sat down to actually rationally think about the changes, I realized they're mostly going to be inconsequential (barring shotgun infils and smg/lmg heavies). I am confident, however, that if something does become vastly overpowered, the devs will take steps to correct it.

Ultimately, it's a change that was needed, both for monetization and endgame purposes. But at the end of the day, FPS shooter skills are going to trump any perceived "bonus" from the ASP system.
Posted Mar 28, 18
List
Undo
I see it both ways, honestly. The devs need to keep the loyal veteran playerbase/paying customers interested with the things that have kept them there: any reason to keep shooting (gun gameplay, prestige, more weapons, etc) This is the core of Planetside - an arena shooter that puts a bunch of arenas in one giant lobby, allowing players to "drop-in/drop-out" at any given moment.

On the flipside, as someone who really only cared about the war simulator aspect (massive battles, teamwork, strategy, etc), I'm glad I pulled away from the game because the devs could never really stay dedicated to that design aspect. Construction is always an afterthought, and Wrel himself admits he doesn't care for it. Because my gunplay sucked and I didn't have the time (school) or money (graphics card, processor, etc) to improve that gunplay, there was no way for me to contribute in a way that wasn't considered "casual" (blueberry wrangler, non-combat medic, Sunderer driver, etc).

It 's not even their fault really, since the game was never designed to be strategically interesting for more than 2 hours at a time considering how fast bases flip. The magic was all in my head. Foxhole helped highlight this for me (yeah Captain, we fucking get it you play Minecraft with a WWII skin jesus christ).

I just wonder how many new players come into PS2 expecting something like Foxhole, discover the strange-yet-fast metas, and leave. I'd love to see those numbers.
Posted Mar 28, 18 · Last edited Mar 28, 18
List
Undo
wrote:
You guys really need to play the game before you bash it

That's kinda the point, I do Koop, I play it casually. Sure I take breaks but I'm never usually gone too long, and between unlocking guns and shit like nano-weave I can count on one hand the amount of time I've had more than 1k certs banked nevermind 10k.

If I were to play at my usual lengths and levels without taking any extended breaks, it'd still take me well over a year, maybe 2 to earn that many certs. Where it stands currently, either I pay real money (And I've already stated I refuse to give Daybreak another cent, used to be a loyal customer, burnt too many times) or I probably don't make up the certs before the game actually just shuts down for good.

And you're never going to convince me that double battle-goose VS heavies, NC heavies with secondary jackhammers, or my personal favourite, Shotgun Infils (Because they get carbines now, and carbines have under-barrels) isn't complete raving bullshit. I mean good fucking bye new player experience, oh and if that's not bullshit enough, don't worry, with the unlockable nanite cost reductions every ground pounding pilot will never have to touch the ground again and shooting those down will be worthless.

I've called bullshit on a lot of the 'ded gaem' claims before but this as it is currently probably does mark the death rattle of the game, nobody new is going to want in on that, a lot of vets will get pissed off, and you'll just have a smaller player base that only shrinks.
VCO's Resident Big Lazy Loudmouthed Bear
Posted Mar 28, 18
List
Undo
I fail to see what is exactly game-breaking. Veteran or no, you can kill pretty much any dood with any weapon if you use it right. The only advantage I see ASP gives to veterans is increased survivability and a some more versatility. It's not like now you need 10 headshots to kill an ASP dude. What it really gives veterans is what veterans do best: more options to do more tactical gameplay. Experienced dudes can make good use of these ASP stuff, because really from the options that are available, IMHO you really need to know what you're doing when certing to any of the non-universal skills.
Posted Mar 29, 18
List
Undo
It's a prestige system. I understand the argument from casual players, but this system isn't really designed for them. It's built for the players who have been stuck at max rank for 5 years now. And with that in mind, it's not uncommon for a 5 year old MMO to introduce a level-cap increase tied to new powers/abilities.

I admit, I was a little worried about the abilities myself, until I actually sat down to think about them. Yes, an infil with an under-barrel shotgun sounds bad, until you remember that a cyclone infil kills you faster anyway. And that's been in the game for years now. Same with dual-betelgeuse heavies. Wrel already said you can't double up on weapons (dual anchors, for instance) and you won't be able to use directive weapons like the betelgeuse and godsaw in these slots. Even in the jackhammer's case, it's got such a long equip time that in a 1v1 gunfight you'll actually do more DPS with your sidearm over a heavy weapon.

Ultimately, it's a case of things looking worse than they actually are. At the end of the day, skill and proper aim are always going to win out over whatever perceived advantage the ASP system gives. And frankly, this is how it should be.

As for the the overall meta and war-simulation experience that CaptaininArms was referring to, I highly suggest you watch the stream. It's not that Wrel doesn't care for Construction. He doesn't care for the haphazard way in which it was implemented, and most of the playerbase agrees with him. But they're making a lot of changes to that system this year as well. Far too many to list in detail in this thread, but in short order we're looking at - Orbital Strikes that can hit lattice bases - actual artillery cannons that can do the same - powerful spawnpoints that can only be pulled from construction items - possibly this little guy - and much more. Coupled with the promised Outfit progression trees that keep getting teased, it would not surprise me if by the end of the year every organized platoon will want to have a construction base somewhere on the map, and that will require players interested in providing the logistics to keep it going.
Posted Mar 29, 18
List
Undo
I watched it, but I think at this point I just need to be proven wrong. The development of this game has been so turbulent and unfocused for so long it's hard for me to believe anything new could capture that old magic for very long, even the carrier.

Hats off to the developers though. Those guys have put up with a shitty parent company, rushed development, high expectations, and a long-standing toxic vocal minority in the community. It's nice to see the devs regaining some momentum and an actual unified VISION. Wrel joining the team - while I disagree with some of his design choices - was the best thing to happen to that game. Motherfucker's a gamer first and foremost, and he knows what he wants.
Posted Mar 30, 18
Latest threads
NoticeNotices